Open Innovation – Prize Competition Intern - NIST Public Safety Communications Research (CU PIIE)
This internship is part of the CU Public Interest Internship Experience (PIIE). Please visit our website for qualifications, descriptions, and information on how to apply to this and other internships.
Application deadline EXTENDED to Friday, February 7, 2020 at NOON.
Open Innovation – Prize Competition Intern
NIST Public Safety Communications Research
The Public Safety Communications Research (PSCR) Division at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is seeking a motivated intern to support the Open Innovation (OI) program staff in the research, design and execution of prize competitions. PSCR is a premiere research organization committed to equipping first responders with next-generation technologies in support of their mission to protect life and property. Using the America COMPETES Act authority, the OI Team launches prize competitions (challenges), inviting innovators to solve problems and advance the research and development of communications technologies. The OI Team works closely with internal researchers, public safety professionals, and external partners in academia and industry. During the summer of 2020, the OI Team will be working on prize competitions involving multi-modal data analytics, drone deployment, augmented reality (AR), Internet of Things (IoT), and other cutting-edge topics.
Description of Position
The intern will be involved in the day-to-day operation and administration of prize competitions. The intern will have the opportunity to contribute to new project development in the federal government and to gain an understanding of how the federal government connects with external entities such as the private sector, nonprofit institutions and entrepreneurs. The intern will work closely with the OI Team to:
- Research concepts for new prize competitions;
- Edit the OI Team’s standard operating procedure (SOP);
- Compile the initial draft of the biennial Prize Competition report to the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy;
- Develop targeted outreach lists for prize competitions;
- Draft outreach messages and emails to target audiences; and
- Monitor the current prize competitions on Challenge.gov;
- Research business solutions for our competition winners.
● Interest in the federal government’s role in innovation, entrepreneurship, technology transfer and crowdsourcing solutions.
● Exemplary oral and written communication skills
● Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
● Competence with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
● Collaborative ethos & customer service-oriented
● Flexibility, creative-thinking and problem-solving skills
● Commitment to public service, specifically supporting state and local public safety organizations
● Interest in communications technology, research and development
● Strong Excel skills at the intermediate or higher level; ability to download, manipulate, and analyze data
● Familiarity with Salesforce Customer Relationship Manager (CRM)
● Familiarity with Marketing Cloud or, alternately, sending outreach emails to a large list of recipients using Outlook or other enterprise email service
Do not apply through Handshake or to the host organization directly.
Please apply to the CU PIIE program here: APPLICATION